I frequently play around with floss types and/or colors, and occasionally with the bits and pieces of a design to meet my need or eye. The insert is the original Prairie Schooler design from their Designer Series book, "Forget-Me-Nots" (still available), which I modified only slightly (though it appears a lot different) and stitched for Mylene in a 2007 exchange. I wanted something more light and airy with pastel/spring colors. The design remains copyright The Prairie Schooler.
- Change some of the colors - DMC, Crescent Colors, maybe a GAST
- Change text to a similar-looking back-stitch that I made up
- Divide the text so part was above and part below the main motif
- Remove dark bottom panel
- Copy and flip the top half of the borders
- Center text & center motif inside
- Add a stitch to each side of the horizontal lines at top and bottom to accomodate the backstitch text and position
- Add an extra light green stitch to the center-pointing leaves at top
- Add an extra light green stitch to the leaves on the sides to match
- Then adjust the single side stitches by two stitches toward the center of the side
Remarkably, it ended up the same height as the original. Sometimes things just work out.